Tuesday, November 9, 2010

6 things I want people to know about Diabetes!!!

.  
 

I asked S if she wanted to weigh in on the six things she'd like people to know about diabetes.  Here's her list...

#6.  It sucks.
#5.  It sucks.
#4.  It sucks.
#3.  It sucks.
#2.  It sucks.
and #1...... IT REALLY SUCKS AND I WISH IT WOULD GO AWAY!
(excuse her langauge)


Ok.  We know how she feels!


As for ME....
Six Things, huh?  ONLY 6?  I have a feeling I could go on all day.  But I'll cut it down to the top 6....


The Top 6 Things I Want People to Know about Diabetes:


# 6. You can't just take a pill or change your diet and expect diabetes to go away.  It's not that easy.  But I wish it were...


#5.  There is NO CURE.  "S"  WILL NOT GROW OUT OF IT.  Insulin and pumps and CGM's are great - but they are not a cure.  They are advanced forms of life support.  


#4.  Diabetes is not controlled.  It is managed.  Some days better than others.  You can do everything right and things can still go horribly wrong.
( and they are going horribly wrong)


#3.  Diabetes never sleeps.  It never takes a vacation.  It never takes a day off.  Or an hour.  Or a minute.  And neither do we.  We fight this disease 24/7/365.   


#2.  Diabetes hurts.  It means blood.  Pricking  fingers 6-8 times a day.....around 3,650 times a year.  It means needles and shots and site changes... around 1,825 shots and 183 site changes a year.  It means arm draws and visits to the hospital.  It means more tears than you can count.


#1.  Diabetes can happen to you.  It happened to us on January 3 2005.  Our beautiful, healthy child.... who was 8 years old... was no longer so healthy.  Diabetes snuck in and decimated her immune system.  It left her so sick she could barely walk and sent us to the hospital .  


Diabetes isn't something that happens to other people.  To people with a family history.  To people who are overweight.  It can happen to you.  

Know the warning signs.  Know they can occur suddenly.




  • Extreme thirst
  • Frequent urination
  • Sudden vision changes
  • Sugar in urine
  • Fruity, sweet, or wine-like odor on breath
  • Increased appetite
  • Sudden weight loss
  • Drowsiness, lethargy
  • Heavy, labored breathing
  • Stupor, unconsciousness


This is the reason I work so hard.  This is the reason I blog, I advocate, I educate, I care. 
Help us find a cure!

1 comment: